Saturday, May 21, 2011


“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.  Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!  He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.”
Psalm 127:3-5

12 Weeks
25 Weeks
“Your wife 
will be 
like a fruitful 
flourishing within 
your home. 
Your children 
will be like 
vigorous young 
olive trees 
as they sit 
around your table.”
Psalm 128:3

 “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.”
Psalm 139:13-16

32 Weeks
“May our sons flourish in their youth like well-nurtured plants.   
May our daughters be like graceful pillars, carved to beautify a palace.”
Psalm 144:12

36 Weeks
 “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.”
James 1:17

Dave and I found out on Tuesday, February 23, 2010, almost three weeks after our daughter Emmi turned one year old, that we were expecting our second child!  We were overjoyed once again.   

This is how we announced
our second pregnancy.

Then, later on Thursday, June 3rd, we found out we were expecting a baby boy!  I was so excited to be given the gift of a daughter and now a son, as well.  So, we went to celebrate with Emmi at Chipotle for dinner, and then we headed over to the Owl’s Nest Toy Shop in Southlake to buy him his first gift, a blue lovey blanket.  

Baby Boy at 13 Weeks
He's a BOY!
Baby Boy at 18 Weeks
 The following is the story of our beautiful baby boy’s birth…

Blue Toenails
On Sunday, October 31st, I started having contractions all evening.  I wasn’t sure if they were strong Braxton Hicks contractions or early labor, but they continued most of the evening until I went to bed.  This happened again on Tuesday (November 2nd, Pierson’s due date) and then again on Thursday, following a pattern of every other day.  I decided, since I was being given some extra time, to go get a pedicure – blue toenails, in honor of our baby boy on the way.  My dear Aunt Sara drove up from Magnolia on Friday, November 5th, in order to be here to help us with Emmi, when we went into labor.  We were so thankful she had offered to come and help during this time.  She thought surely I was about to have the baby, after the night before of contractions…but, little did we know we had a while longer to go…

Amber (41 weeks pregnant) & Aunt Sara
at Ft. Worth Botanic Gardens
 Then, the same thing occurred on Saturday, and then on Monday.  As usual, the contractions had tapered off by morning.  Katie Perez, my sweet friend and doula, had been in communication with me this entire time, on the phone and in text messages.  I was starting to get a bit anxious, at this point, because we were approaching the 41 week mark, and my ObGyn, Dr. Wai, doesn’t usually recommend that his patients go over 41 weeks in their pregnancies. 

41 Weeks
Tuesday, November 9th came (41 weeks), and we consented to have Dr. Wai do a 2nd ultrasound exam on baby boy, to make sure all was well inside the womb with him.  Everything checked out perfectly with me and with our baby.  On Wednesday, November 10th, I sent Katie a text telling her that I’d been having contractions all evening since 4:35pm, some stronger and longer than others.  This was also another “practice” evening, as nothing continued through the night.  But, I got a good night’s sleep.  Katie texted me saying this happens sometimes, and it is called Prodromal Labor.
Katie shared that it could sometimes indicate a position (with the baby) problem, but that it could also just be my body taking its time to get ready for the big event. 

With family, awaiting baby boy's arrival any day now...
So, on Friday, November 12th, Katie came by to bring me some Master Gland,
which helps regulate the major glands of the body, especially the thyroid, and helps to promote a healthy hormone balance.  So, hoping this would help stimulate regular labor contractions, I started taking these and contractions were happening every five minutes that evening.  I went to lie down for some rest around 11pm.  I had contractions throughout the night, but still inconsistent.

On Monday, November 15th, I had an appointment with Dr. Wai at 4:30pm.  I was still only dilated to a little over one centimeter (I measured one centimeter at our 39 week check-up.)  A Non-Stress Test was performed via Ultrasound on our baby boy, before we spoke with Dr. Wai, and our baby was predicted at 7 lbs. 12 oz.  Everything checked out normally.  However, by the end of our discussion with Dr. Wai, I was in tears, because we were finally making plans for an induction, which I had hoped to avoid, if at all possible.  We were upon the 42 week mark, and Dr. Wai wanted me to come in at 10pm that Wednesday night (Nov. 17th), to start Cervidil, which would serve to dilate my cervix.  And, the plan was for this to work overnight, and then he would come to check me early the next morning (Nov. 18th.)  If this hadn’t caused labor to start already, then I had the option of having AROM (Artificial Rupture of Membranes) or receiving Pitocin.

I didn’t want either!  If they broke my waters (AROM), this had the potential to get my contractions moving along, but it was also “no turning back,” and other interventions could escalate from there, because I would no longer be able to leave the hospital, if my body didn’t progress in labor.  If they administered Pitocin, I could have really strong contractions and possibly need help with pain management through drugs or an epidural, which I also very much wanted to avoid.  My desire was to have our baby boy come naturally, in God’s own timing, without the use of any drugs, and to have a relatively quick vaginal birth.  I was becoming very sad and disappointed that our chances of this happening were becoming very slim.  Constantly, I counted on the encouragement, support, advice, and wisdom of my doula friend, Katie Perez.  At the same time, I knew we needed to make a plan, and God gave us the peace to continue on and to trust Him.  So, we reluctantly agreed to come to the hospital Wednesday night…

Lord, please let this baby come soon!
On Tuesday morning, Katie texted me saying that she had a dream the night before that I had a great birth!  I wrote back saying I hoped her dream was prophetic… Come back for Part 2, to see if it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment